Can you engage and inspire young people?
Do you have a creative facilitation style that leaves a lasting impression?
Then why not apply as a Young Mediterranean Voices (YMV) ‘Peer Facilitator’…
|What? Recruiting peer facilitators to deliver debate training to young participants|
|Age: 21 – 30|
|Language: Fluent in English and Arabic|
|Location: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia|
|Commitment: 6 – 18 months|
|Fee Rate: Voluntary with subsistence|
|Closing Date: Saturday 6 April 2019 at 23:59 (GMT)|
About Young Mediterranean Voices (YMV)
Young Mediterranean Voices (YMV) seeks to empower young women and men to enhance a culture of dialogue and to create a shared understanding with peers across the Mediterranean on how to address issues of common concern to their communities.
To achieve this, the programme focuses on four specific objectives:
- Debating practices will be embedded in education institutions and CSOs;
- Exposure among young debaters for shared understanding and capacity will be enhanced to develop shared responses with peers to socio-cultural challenges.
YMV is coordinated by the Anna Lindh Foundation, co-founded by the British Council, and developed in partnership with the Centre for Mediterranean Integration (CMI), Friends of Europe, the World Leadership Alliance-Club de Madrid, MEDAC and Soliya. The programme is funded by the European Commission and co-funded by the Government of Finland, the British Council and World Bank Group.
As part of YMV, the British Council is looking to recruit Peer Facilitators that will be responsible to deliver debate trainings to young debaters, co-develop debate clubs, monitor and support debaters during cascade and competitions as well as possibility to adjudicate during debate competitions. Peer Facilitators will be recruited in 8 MENA countries; Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend a 3-day National Debate training in country which will include an intensive training in the YMV Debate Curriculum and Facilitation Techniques and additional home/online learning.
- Attend the national launching meeting with hubs to develop cascade action plan
- Deliver the debate training during cascade phase to debate clubs organised by Hubs organisations
- Follow up and monitor debaters in debate clubs during practice and before competitions.
- Prepare motions for the debaters during the cascade trainings and other competitions
- Travel (internally and/or externally) when needed
- Report to Master Facilitators on debaters performance, number of debaters, motions used.
- Select and recommend debaters during the qualification stage leading to the final competition
- Show full commitment throughout the YMV life cycle: National Debate training, cascade trainings, information sessions, inter-debate competitions, and the national debate forum
- Become a part of the wider YMV team, actively participating in the ‘National Advisory Committee’ and sharing good practice.
- Become a representative of YMV, upholding YMV mission, ethos and reputation.
Applicants who wish to become Peer Facilitators need to be residents of one of the 8 countries; Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia. They need to be between 21 and 30 years old, fluent in both English and Arabic languages. Additionally, applicants who wish to become Peer Facilitators will need to meet the following:
Qualification and Experience
- Have at least 1-year experience in delivering trainings to young people.
- Active in youth programmes including volunteering.
- Be an active debater or have a previous debate experience.
- Previous engagement/experience in YMV or YAV programmes is desirable
- Motivation letter describing why you want to be part of YMV
- Ability to cascade the training to young debaters
- Ability to travel (internally) when needed
- Commit to YMV through the programme’s life cycle until Dec 2020
- Ability to provide technical support to the young debaters when required
Submit all mandatory documentation to YMV@britishcouncil.org by the Response Deadline, as set out in the Timescales section of the application, mentioning in the subject email: Peer Facilitator - Your Country – Your Name